Skip to main content

Momodu Urges Peter Obi to Join Atiku, Warns Amaechi Could Be Picked as Running Mate

Veteran journalist and political commentator Dele Momodu has publicly urged former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi to accept a prospective offer to join former Vice President Atiku Abubakar as his running mate for the 2027 presidential election. Momodu’s comments come amid growing speculation about Atiku’s choice of a southern politician to strengthen his ticket and broaden his appeal across Nigeria.

According to Momodu, Atiku’s bloc within the African Democratic Congress, ADC, is actively searching for a capable southern politician to serve as his running mate. Peter Obi, who contested the 2023 presidential election under the Labour Party, has reportedly been the top candidate. However, sources suggest that if Obi declines, Atiku may consider former Rivers State governor Rotimi Amaechi as an alternative.

Speaking with Sunday Punch, Momodu emphasized the strategic importance of an Obi-Atiku alliance. He described the two politicians as the figures most capable of forming the strongest opposition coalition Nigeria has seen since the 2019 election. Momodu also recalled that Atiku and Obi previously ran on a joint ticket in 2019 under the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, but were defeated by then-incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari.

Momodu expressed frustration over public pushback from Obi’s supporters, who he claims are contributing to delays in finalizing the potential political union. He warned that hesitation could cost Obi a significant opportunity to be part of a powerful opposition platform.

“That is why they are trying to make every party have only southern candidates. They don’t want any strong opposition from the opposite direction. There is no way any Southern candidate can defeat Tinubu,” Momodu said. “If Peter Obi does not take advantage of a ready-made union between him and Atiku, it would be very unfortunate. It would be as good as working for Tinubu to come back.”

Momodu further indicated that if Obi opts out, Rotimi Amaechi could become Atiku’s running mate. He highlighted Amaechi’s significant political influence, stating, “A lot of people are underrating Amaechi. Amaechi single-handedly handed power to Buhari. What the Federal Capital Territory Minister, Nyesom Wike, is doing now, though in an unruly manner, Amaechi did quite well when he was governor of Rivers State. Amaechi mobilized more than any other person for Buhari, even more than Tinubu. If Obi does not make up his mind or chooses to run alone, then I believe the mantle might fall on Rotimi Amaechi.”

Addressing the urgency of making political decisions, Momodu added, “I have told Obi. There is no time. The person you want to dislodge is already the President. He has everything. He is either coercing or cajoling the governors and senators to join him. He wants to present a false alibi that everybody loves him. He knows what he is doing. He wants to create a false image of someone who cannot be defeated, so that when they succeed at doing their manipulation, they will say, ‘What did you expect?’ Despite all their shenanigans in 2023, they lost Lagos to Obi. They lost Osun to Governor Ademola Adeleke. Obi needs to make up his mind. For now, I don’t know his party. PDP is crumbling, LP has crumbled. Where does he want to go?”

Momodu’s warnings reflect the high stakes of Nigeria’s 2027 elections. With the political landscape evolving rapidly, key decisions regarding alliances, running mates, and party affiliations could prove decisive in shaping voter sentiment and the balance of power across the country. Analysts suggest that an Obi-Atiku ticket would consolidate opposition forces and create a formidable challenge to the ruling party, while failure to act could fragment support and open the door for other contenders.

The commentary also underscores the growing tension within opposition ranks, as leaders and political stakeholders work to position themselves strategically ahead of the upcoming elections. With only a few years remaining until the polls, every decision regarding alliances, ticket composition, and campaign strategy is expected to have far-reaching implications for the future of Nigerian politics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ugandan Diplomat Speaks Out After DNA Test Reveals Shocking Family Truth

Chris Rugari, a Ugandan diplomat and Zimbabwe's Consular General to Uganda, has broken his silence after a DNA test revealed that two of his three eldest children are not biologically his. Rugari, who married Joline Kanoheri in 2008, had believed he had a happy and faithful marriage. However, the discovery in September 2023 changed everything. 2008 : Chris Rugari and Joline Kanoheri got married. 2010 : Their first child was born, followed by two more in 2013 and 2015. 2022 and 2024 : Two more children were born, with the last one's birth certificate not signed by Rugari due to emerging paternity issues. Rugari described his relationship with Kanoheri as wonderful and conflict-free, with him actively involved in the children's lives. He signed their birth certificates, took them for immunization, bathed them, cooked for them, and financially supported their education. However, the DNA test results revealed a shocking truth about the first three children. Tragedy struck when...

Lagos Woman Missing After Message About Wrong Car

A Nigerian man, Mayor Johnson, has raised an alarm about the disappearance of his sister, Esther, in Lagos State. Esther was supposed to travel from Ajah to Epe to stay with a family friend in preparation for her JAMB exam. According to Johnson, Esther sent a disturbing message to her other sister, stating that she was "scared, feeling sleepy, her eyes itchy, and might have boarded the wrong car." The message was sent on Thursday, April 24, 2025, around 1 pm, and since then, there has been no contact from her.  Johnson is frantically searching for his sister, who was supposed to arrive at her destination to prepare for her JAMB exam scheduled for Friday. The family is worried about Esther's safety, and Johnson is appealing for help to locate her. 

Mother Disowns 16-Year-Old Daughter Over Leaked Intimate Videos

A mother of four, Mrs. Chinasa, has disowned her 16-year-old daughter, Mmesoma, for leaking her intimate videos with a lover to her husband. The videos were allegedly sent to Chinasa's ex-husband, who then shared them with her friends and acquaintances, causing Chinasa immense shame and ridicule. According to sources, Chinasa had created the intimate videos with her lover to keep their emotions aflame during his absence. However, her children had access to her phone, and Mmesoma stumbled upon the videos and forwarded them to her father. The ex-husband then used the videos to ridicule and humiliate Chinasa. Chinasa has vowed to never acknowledge Mmesoma as her daughter again, citing the betrayal of trust and the shame brought upon her as a mother. "I regret ever having Mmesoma as my daughter. She has brought shame to me, and I will no longer acknowledge her as my own," Chinasa said. She fears that Mmesoma's actions may have long-term consequences and that her own grand...