Skip to main content

Police Arrest 13 in Edo Over Killing of 23-Year-Old Man


The Edo State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of 13 suspects in connection with the violent crisis that erupted in Ogheghe community, along Upper Siluko Road in Benin City, following the killing of 23-year-old Chigozie Ifeonu.

According to eyewitnesses, the incident occurred on Wednesday, October 28, 2025, when a disagreement over a motorcycle hire purchase deal allegedly turned deadly. Ifeonu was reportedly stabbed in the chest by a Hausa youth after attempting to reclaim a motorcycle he had earlier given out on hire purchase.

The killing sparked outrage in the community as angry youths stormed the streets armed with sticks and other dangerous weapons in an attempt to avenge his death. Several people were said to have sustained injuries during the ensuing clash, while others fled the area to avoid being caught in the violence.

An eyewitness told reporters that the confrontation quickly escalated into an ethnic clash between local youths and Hausa residents in the area. Many shops and homes belonging to Hausa traders were reportedly set ablaze, while some individuals were attacked before the arrival of the police.

“I can’t say exactly how the fight started, but I know it was related to a deal gone wrong. The deceased was stabbed, and that led to a serious fight between Benin boys and the Hausa youths,” a source said.

“Policemen came later and fired teargas to scatter the crowd. Without their quick response, the situation would have been much worse.”

A video circulating on social media showed thick smoke rising from the Hausa quarters in Ogheghe, with some youths seen beating two men with planks. The footage has since gone viral, sparking discussions about rising tensions and the need for stronger community relations in the state.

In a statement released on Thursday, the Deputy Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Eno Ikoedem, confirmed the incident and assured residents that calm had been restored.

“One male victim, Chigozie Ifeonu, aged 23 years, was stabbed in the chest during the disturbance. He was immediately rushed to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH), where he was unfortunately confirmed dead by a medical doctor. His corpse has been deposited at the UBTH mortuary for preservation and autopsy,” the statement read.

ASP Ikoedem also confirmed that 13 suspects were arrested in connection with the crisis and that the case has been transferred to the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) for discreet investigation.

The statement further noted that the Commissioner of Police, CP Monday Agbonika, extended his condolences to the family of the deceased and urged residents of Ogheghe and its environs to remain calm and law-abiding.

He assured the public that the police command is committed to maintaining peace and ensuring that justice is served in the matter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ugandan Diplomat Speaks Out After DNA Test Reveals Shocking Family Truth

Chris Rugari, a Ugandan diplomat and Zimbabwe's Consular General to Uganda, has broken his silence after a DNA test revealed that two of his three eldest children are not biologically his. Rugari, who married Joline Kanoheri in 2008, had believed he had a happy and faithful marriage. However, the discovery in September 2023 changed everything. 2008 : Chris Rugari and Joline Kanoheri got married. 2010 : Their first child was born, followed by two more in 2013 and 2015. 2022 and 2024 : Two more children were born, with the last one's birth certificate not signed by Rugari due to emerging paternity issues. Rugari described his relationship with Kanoheri as wonderful and conflict-free, with him actively involved in the children's lives. He signed their birth certificates, took them for immunization, bathed them, cooked for them, and financially supported their education. However, the DNA test results revealed a shocking truth about the first three children. Tragedy struck when...

Lagos Woman Missing After Message About Wrong Car

A Nigerian man, Mayor Johnson, has raised an alarm about the disappearance of his sister, Esther, in Lagos State. Esther was supposed to travel from Ajah to Epe to stay with a family friend in preparation for her JAMB exam. According to Johnson, Esther sent a disturbing message to her other sister, stating that she was "scared, feeling sleepy, her eyes itchy, and might have boarded the wrong car." The message was sent on Thursday, April 24, 2025, around 1 pm, and since then, there has been no contact from her.  Johnson is frantically searching for his sister, who was supposed to arrive at her destination to prepare for her JAMB exam scheduled for Friday. The family is worried about Esther's safety, and Johnson is appealing for help to locate her. 

Mother Disowns 16-Year-Old Daughter Over Leaked Intimate Videos

A mother of four, Mrs. Chinasa, has disowned her 16-year-old daughter, Mmesoma, for leaking her intimate videos with a lover to her husband. The videos were allegedly sent to Chinasa's ex-husband, who then shared them with her friends and acquaintances, causing Chinasa immense shame and ridicule. According to sources, Chinasa had created the intimate videos with her lover to keep their emotions aflame during his absence. However, her children had access to her phone, and Mmesoma stumbled upon the videos and forwarded them to her father. The ex-husband then used the videos to ridicule and humiliate Chinasa. Chinasa has vowed to never acknowledge Mmesoma as her daughter again, citing the betrayal of trust and the shame brought upon her as a mother. "I regret ever having Mmesoma as my daughter. She has brought shame to me, and I will no longer acknowledge her as my own," Chinasa said. She fears that Mmesoma's actions may have long-term consequences and that her own grand...